I’m on the Big screen

Setting up the Code Repository

First update made to the Resistor code repository.  We are on our way.  Used Git Bash along with the command given on the BitBucket project page to instantiate the repository clone on my system.  Git Bash provides an interface similar to bash on a UNIX-like system or cygwin, and the local file system can be found in “/C”.

Created a simple README file in my project folder, and added it to the repository by right clicking the file, selecting TortosieHg, and then selecting Add.  Then I selected the main project folder, right clicked, and selected Hg Commit.  This brings up another window where release comments can be entered, then Commit is pressed to update the repository.  Unlike Subversion, the code is not uploaded to the main repository server just yet.  To move the code to the master repository on BitBucket, the folder must be right clicked again, Tortoise Hg selected, then Synchronize.  This will display the TortoiseHg Sync window.  Pressing the Push Outgoing changesets button will cause the changes to be added to the master repository, after entering the BitBucket password of course.

Creating the Project

Created a default XBox 360 (4.0) game project in Visual C# 2010 Express, using the folder I created after cloning the repository as the location.  However, errors were returned when trying to run the project because no device was capable of displaying the executable.  This was not a problem before when developing a Windows game, but I’m assuming that it is an issue now since this project specifically targets the XBox 360 platform.


Used the XNA Game Studio Device Center to add my XBox 360 as an output device.  Gave my XBox 360 the name “Gyromite”.  Unfortunately, it prompted for a connection key, which I didn’t have yet.

Joining XNA Creator’s Club

Went to the XNA Creator’s Club online site to create an account.  Get your credit card ready (ugh!).  Somewhere, RMS is shedding a tear.



For whatever reason, it wants a gamertag to create an account.  I really don’t want to mix my developer profile with my regular gaming profile, so I created the new gamertag GaTechGradDev.  After shelling out a Benjamin to Microsoft, my developer profile was activated.  Next, I downloaded XNA Game Studio Connect to my XBox 360, after downloading and signing in as my new developer profile.  I’m hoping that this will work on my older XBox as well, so I can use it for development and my newer one just for gaming.

Using the XNA Game Studio Connect app, I was able to get the connect key required for  the XNA Game Studio Device Center on my PC to add a new device.  My PC was able to connect to the XBox with no problems after entering the code.



Restarted by development IDE, but the project would still not run.  Figured out that you have to right click on your XBox in the  XNA Game Studio Device Center, then select Set as default XBox 360.  Unsurprisingly, this was not documented as a part of the developer setup on Microsoft’s site.  After that was fixed, I got the Cornflower blue screen (not “of Death”) on my television, which is a good thing.


On the Big Screen

After some aggravation with trying to get transparency to copy from Inkscape to Gimp (I just made the background white and forgot about it), I was able to get the Resistor title screen to display on my television.  Apparently the default resolution for an XBox360 game is 640×480, which I haven’t used since I was programming QBasic on my 386.  I will look into changing that later, but for now here is the title screen in all its glory.

Getting the ball rolling

Initial Setup

On Friday, I registered an entry for Resistor for Dream Build Play at www.dreambuildplay.com.  Today, I created a new blog on WordPress that will be used to document the game’s development, using my existing account on WordPress.  I will need to look into linking the RSS feed of this blog to the XNA Last Dance website.

I’ve also created a BitBucket repository today to host the code repository.  Thankfully, I have already setup the necessary Mecurial tools for using the repository when I was doing XNA testing last month.  BitBucket has great documentation for setting up a new repository and installing the necessary tools.  The web interface to the Resistor repository is located at  https://bitbucket.org/gatechgrad/resistor .  Unfortunately, I doubt I will be able to do any development on my laptop, since I am running Ubuntu Linux on it, with Windows XP through VirtualBox.  I’ve had bad experiences running games through VirtualBox.

This will be the first game that I develop for the XBox, so regretfully I will need to shell out the $100 for the XBox creators club.  Personally, I don’t think you should have to pay until you actually publish a game to XBox Live.  I can currently develop Windows games on my desktop PC using the XNA Game Studio 4.0, but I can only generate EXEs for PC systems.

Creating Box Art

Yesterday, I created a simple box art image for the game.  The resistors were rendered in Blender, with each resistor being composed of two cylinders.  The larger cylinders each have a texture with a unique color, which represent the color values that will be used in the game.  The smaller cylinders were scaled down, elongated, and then translated so that it intersects the larger cylinders.  These cylinders represent the wires, which just have a simple black texture.  Since the initial render was a little too dark, I added an additional sun lamp and positioned it appropriately.  Using the Zero key camera view helped position the camera so that the entire render correctly appears in one image.  I did some minor touches such as cropping in Gimp, then I imported the image into Inkscape where I added the title text and green background gradient.




Conceptual Design

Below is the original conceptual design for the Resistor game that I wrote on paper a few months ago.